Date: 4/30/17 4:13 am
From: Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Scarlet Tanager on mulberry tree
A brilliant male Scarlet Tanager was a welcome visitor to my mulberry tree yesterday -- first time noted ever.  The good feelings were marred a bit at the discovery of a dead male Rose-breasted Grosbeak under the tree, apparently having flown into the glass on the garage door.
Other notables: Catbirds sneak in only at twilight; Swainsons Thrushes are always around but forage in the dense interior of the tree (I am trying to have my two students learn their songs--the birds are heard more often than seen); the female Painted Bunting was back yesterday, but why have I never seen the male here?....strange......massive roving flocks of Cedar Waxwings.
Last week Jerry Davis kindly shared some wonderful photos of birds on mulberry trees.  One of them was a Scarlet Tanager male.  I set that aside thinking this bird never comes to my tree so why bother.  Little did I know.  Thanks, Jerry.
KannanFt. Smith

Join us on Facebook!