Date: 4/29/17 7:53 pm
From: Melissa Versiga <melvcf...>
Subject: Amazing amount of bird songs all around me this morning and my first Scarlet Tanager
I could not believe the sounds I heard when I went outside on my deck this
morning during a break in the rain. I had trills, chirps, clicks and other
songs all around my property. I think there was a large group of migrating
Yellow-Rumped Warblers that decided to hang out while the storm goes
through. I saw at least 10 in the trees close to my deck and heard a lot
more trills in trees all around me. I had one Yellow-Throated Warbler
collecting dog hair from a log with holes that I put hair in for nesting.
Hopefully it is building a nest nearby so I can see the fledglings. I also
have a few Pine Warblers that visit my suet feeder regularly. There may
have been other types of Warblers in the trees but every one I located was
a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.

I had 2 FOS male Indigo Buntings show up last night and they were at my
feeders again this morning. I also had at least 1 female and 3 male FOS
Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks show up yesterday that were visiting again this
morning. The Blue Jays and a few House Finches showed up about a week ago
and joined in on the chorus along with my daily visits from Goldfinch,
Titmouse, Chipping Sparrows, White-Breasted Nuthatch, Chickadees,
Cardinals, Red Bellied, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers. I heard a Summer
Tanager but couldn't spot him, but then I saw my first Scarlet Tanager! He
was high up, but thankfully on a dead branch on the edge of the trees so I
could have a great view of his brilliant red and black colors. After he
flew away I grabbed my boots to try to follow his sound down our ridge. I
didn't find him again, but I did find the male Summer Tanager!

Such a wonderful ending to the break without any rain. I am so glad I
stepped outside and got to enjoy all the sights and sounds for at least an
hour before the rain started again. I recorded a long bird sound song to
enjoy again later and maybe be able to identify some other birds I didn't
see.

I saw my neighbor who lives about 1/4 mile away and she told me her
daughter said it sounded like a rain forest this morning. If it was loud
there too, there may be 100's of Warblers making a pit stop in Eureka
Springs during migration.

Stay dry and safe,
Melissa Versiga
Eureka Springs