Date: 4/28/17 2:45 pm
From: 'Jorgensen, Joel' <Joel.Jorgensen...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Whimbrels et al.
On 26 April, I drove out to Lake McConaughy. I made a brief stop at the North Platte sewage lagoons where I found a decent number of shorebirds. The highlight was a single Hudsonian Godwit with a group of Marbled Godwits (full eBird checklist http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36285299).

At Lake Ogallala, highlights included an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull, 12 Whimbrels (poor photos on the eBird checklist) and a Merlin (columbaris). The eBird checklist can be found here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36292228

I might have missed the Whimbrels had it not been for me filling out my eBird checklist on my phone. I walked out on the dike trail from the east campground and scoped everything for about 40 minutes. After filling out the checklist, I gave the exposed bars one last look before heading back to my vehicle. Out of nowhere there were Whimbrels. The only reasonable explanation is that they flew in and landed when I was staring at my phone.

Finally, on 26 April, I saw a Peregrine Falcon, Northern Mockingbird and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at Clear Creek WMA, Keith-Garden Counties.

On 27 April, I found three Lesser Black-backed Gulls at Martin Bay. I then heard a Western Kingbird in Arthur and saw single Blue-gray Gnatcatchers at Halsey NNF and along the Dismal River near Dunning.

Good birding!

-Joel

Joel Jorgensen | Nongame Bird Program Manager
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
2200 N. 33rd 68503 | 402.471.5440
<joel.jorgensen...><mailto:<joel.jorgensen...>

Join us on Facebook!