Date: 4/27/17 11:35 am
From: Jerry Davis <jwdavis...>
Subject: Re: 17 species on my mulberry
Yes many people eat them if they can find red mulberries before the other critters. The fruit also makes good jelly.
In addition to the Native Plant nurseries in our state, the Arkansas Forestry Commission sells seedlings. https://www.ark.org/afc2/seedlingsales.php
For red mulberry they are $20 for 25 and $30 for 100. The Red Mulberry seedlings sell out fast and you cannot delay in the process. Read the process at their website.
I think you place the order in the Fall and they pull them in early spring and you go pick them up. I picked mine up at the processing center east of Little Rock. I planted mine direct, but in hindsight I would have had better survival from deer and drought if I had planted them in pots until they were larger. There is no way of knowing if the seedlings are male or female when purchased. Larger trees from Native Plant Nurseries can give a big jump in years and establishment. Other seedlings sold with soft mast are Blackgum, Persimmon, and sugarberry. The sweetgum which many people also dislike due to the seed pods provide seeds for 25 species of birds and should also be considered. Whether in the market for seedlings for bird habitat or not, all should be aware of this service by checking the link above. Other state Forestry commissions also provide trees for purchase. One thing to remember is that Arkansas Forestry Commission also sells the Sawtooth Oak from China. They have been reminded of this many times that this is a non-native but they continue to do so mainly for acorn production.

Jerry W. Davis
Hot Springs, AR