Date: 4/20/17 9:06 pm
From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Black-throated Gray Warbler: Fairfax-Bolinas Road
Today, I sleuthed the Douglas Fir areas of Fairfax-Bolinas Road for a good spell.

Most interesting results follow:

- 3 call notes heard and corresponding to BLACK-THROATED GRAY, but I never heard a song from this species…and saw 1 female after hearing its call note initially, then watched carefully before finding the individual about 18’ off the ground in a tree at
Mile Marker 5.47 (i.e., go another 180’ west where a turnout occurs and where large trees exist on the south side of the road).

What, no Hermit Warbler?….Correct….Never heard a song of this species nor observed it.

Typically by this date, I detect this species in the area I visited today.

I shall try again soon….as this road offers some of the most suitable habitat in Marin Co. for Hermit Warbler, formerly a member
of the CA Dept. of Fish & Wildlife’s “Special Animals” list.

*

“Best of the rest”:

- 9 Orange-crowned Warbler heard singing over the six-mile stretch I birded.

- 1 Purple Finch singing (impossible to tell if it was a male or female, given both sexes sing, per my reading of the literature)

- 1 Golden-crowned Kinglet calling (not singing)

- 8 Warbling Vireo singing over the six-mile stretch

- 2 Wilson’s Warbler singing, 1 in typical riparian/bottomland….but another upland singing in a Coast Live Oak was interesting
(I often speculate to myself that in April, the transients still on the move and NOT on nesting grounds are foraging in uplands while
preparing to again migrate after dusk ensues to night……as, by early May, I seldom, if ever, hear singing Wilson’s Warbler in upland areas.

At that point, all of the ones I typically detect in the NBB are in the classic, typical suitable habitat: riparian/bottomland (as mentioned above).

Regards,

Daniel Edelstein

Novato, CA

&

Ellison Bay, WI

warblerwatch.com

Listowners: mailto:<northbaybirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)