Date: 4/20/17 9:02 pm
From: Kent Forward <kforward...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Coastal Sightings 4-20-2017
Good Evening Birders,

I took a walk at Burleigh Murray SP before dusk this evening and was delighted to hear and see recent arrivals including SWAINSON'S THRUSH (5) and OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER (2).  On the way back to the parking lot I was also quite pleased to find a BOBCAT amongst some wild flowers, photos are in my eBird checklist:
A few other interesting notes:This morning at Rancho Corral de Tierra - Moss Beach area the hills were alive with bird-song, at one point there were 11 species of birds singing simultaneously, making it a fun challenge to parse them all out, including a CALIFORNIA THRASHER (several were heard during the hike).
This afternoon on an all too short lunch-break visit to Skylawn Cemetery I finally found some RED CROSSBILL after several failed attempts this spring.  I noted a female in a pine tree gathering nesting materials, her bill was completely filled with bits of moss from the branches, and she continued to grab more!  The other four were heard-only in a nearby pine.
On Tuesday at Coyote Point I counted 82 Caspian Tern on the sand bar, this is the most of this species I have noted at Coyote Point.
Last Sunday at Verde Road pond there were large flocks of BAND-TAILED PIGEON flying overhead, I counted at least 45.
Bountiful Birding,Kent ForwardEl Granada

Join us on Facebook!