Date: 4/20/17 7:15 pm
From: Tim <timberwolf69...>
Subject: [obol] Molting or hybrid?
I was down at the Sacramento NWR this weekend and I found this drake that raises some questions. Since I'm not on the CA central valley list I figured there is some duck pros here that I could ask. I have asked some duck people I know and they said they were a little stumped too. The bird is clearly a Green-winged teal but like me they thought the head screamed Wigeon. The bird does look like it might be molting but it would have been the last one in the refuge from what we saw. All the drakes were in breeding plumage already. Figured I'd get some other opinions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141358197@N06/albums/72157679666806713/with/34168627865/

If you want to see some of the other feathered friends we found down there here's another album. If you are ever travelling northern CA on I-5 the refuge is just south of Willows and pretty much right off the highway. It's a regular stop for us when visiting family down there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141358197@N06/albums/72157682824228295

Join us on Facebook!