Date: 4/20/17 4:47 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Chicago Botanic Garden, Techny North & Air Station Prairie Thur 4-20-17
Hello Again Bird People,

Before I tried my unsuccessful trip to look for B.N. Stilts in Lake
County I covered 3 close to home locations in Cook County. Numbers of
birds at the CBG were up once again but also again I found nothing at
all out of the ordinary. I had only 3 species of sparrows & 2 of
warblers along with 3 species of shorebirds & 5 species of ducks.
Here's my site list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-10:45 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1)
D.C. Cormorant (2)
Great Egret (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (8-10)
Wood Duck (26), Mallard (14), Shoveler (1-M), B.W. Teal (12) & Ruddy Duck (1-F)
Killdeer (5), Greater Yellowlegs (1 continuing) & Solitary Sandpiper (2 FOY)
Ring Billed (1) & Herring (5) Gulls
Caspian Tern (15 on backwater mud flats)
Mourning Dove (3)
Downy (3) & Hairy (1) Woodpeckers & Flickers (5)
PURPLE MARTIN (1-F in the east side Martin house)
Tree (8) & Barn (1) Swallows
Blue Jay (6) & Crow (1)
Chickadee (8), House Wren (2) & R.C. Kinglet (5)
Hermit Thrush (2)
Robins (40-45) & Starlings (4)
Yellow Rumped Myrtle (~10) & Palm (1 singing) Warblers
Cardinal (1-M & 1-F & heard 4 more singing)
Song (4), Swamp (3) & White Throated (17) Sparrows
Red Wings (12-15), Grackles (20-22) & Cowbirds (4)
House Finch (3), Goldfinch (8-10) & House Sparrow (6)

Techny North (11:30-11:50 a.m.)

Again the wind was so strong you could not hold the scope steady!

D.C. Cormorant (2)
Mallard (14), Shoveler (2-M) & B.W. Teal (~10)
Killdeer (2), Greater 3) & Lesser (2) Yellowlegs, Spotted (1) &
Solitary (2) Sandpipers
Tree (4) & Rough Winged (3) Swallows
Robin (2) & Song Sparrow (1 singing)
Red Wings (4) & Eastern Meadowlark (1 singing)

Air Station Prairie (noon -12:30 p.m.)

D.C.Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Canada Goose (3 fly-bys)
Mallard (6) & Blue Winged Teal (2-M & 1-F)
Kestrel (1-M)
On a very small mud flat area were Killdeer (2), Lesser Yellowlegs (2)
& Solitary Sandpiper (2)
Tree Swallow (2)
Robin (4) & Swamp Sparrow (2)
Red Wings & Grackles
In the Heard Only Dept I will mention that I heard 3 Sora Rails & 1
Virginia Rail but both species were pretty far into the cattails.
Since this location is a breeding site for both species I will ask
that you do NOT use recordings to try & draw them out as we should not
annoy them at their breeding areas. If you wait until later in June
the young of both species should be easily seen walking on the mud
flats.

Spring in the woods means Spring wildflowers & in M.M. McDonald Woods
today at the CBG I saw the following wildflowers:

Large White Trillium, Marsh Marigold, Virginia Bluebells, Trout Lily,
Purple Cress, Toothwort, Spring Beauty, Buttercup, Blue Violet, False
Rue Anemone & more. Give them a look.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Lake County Willets &
Runners-Up to the just returned Spotted & Solitary Sandpipers as it's
nice to have them back.

In truth the best sighting of the day goes a HAWAII license plate on a
car parked at the CBG.
It was my 2nd of the year. Interesting day after all!

Al Stokie
Mostly in Cook County but also in Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: