Date: 4/20/17 4:15 pm
From: Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Sunol, 4/20, late Ferruginous Hawk, great hummers!
Today I birded Sunol Regional Wilderness from 9am until around 12:30pm. As
I first crossed the creek onto Camp Ohlone Road, I noted a soaring
light-morph adult FERRUGINOUS HAWK. This large, pale bird showed large
white patches in the primaries (seen from above) and a gleaming white base
to a reddish-tipped tail. It circled with a few vultures quite high up,
before heading north. It's getting very late for a Ferruginous Hawk.

My main plan was to walk up the Cerro Este Road from Little Yosemite, to
check on the large patch of mimulus flowers for hummingbirds. I was
rewarded! Several adult RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS were chasing other
hummingbirds, and one male gave repeated flight displays. Soon after I
noted a nice male CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD with its lovely streaked gorget and
short tail. Later on I encountered a female as well. I also found a
single female BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD. She stood out with her more
"necked" appearance, gray crown, long slightly decurved bill, faint peachy
flanks, and tail that was a bit longer than her folded wings.

I then proceeded to hike up to the Cerro Este overlook, where I noted 3
HORNED LARKS, 3 LARK SPARROWS, 1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, and 1 SAVANNAH
SPARROW. ROCK WRENS were abundant, and several SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS circled
overhead. Over the course of the morning I saw what seemed to be at least
3 individual GOLDEN EAGLES.

Happy birding,
Rob Furrow

--