Date: 4/20/17 3:21 pm
From: Ken Wills <Memontei...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Migration might be picking up around Birmingham

Hello all,
After a very slow Spring migration around Birmingham where the star is Palm Warblers, we might actually be seeing some other non local breeders stop on their way through the Birmingham Area. This morning I briefly birded along the Vulcan Trail and saw a Cape May and Magnolia Warbler as well as a Rose Breasted Grosbeak, several tanagers and vireos, and at least one Baltimore Oriole which according to eBird is early. Not surprisingly there were mostly hanging around the large blooming tulip poplars along the first quarter of a mile of trail from the parking lot. In case you try to stop by, be aware a maintenance construction crew is currently using the trailhead parking lot as a staging ground. It was nice to see some migrants despite these unnaturally stable weather conditions which helps them to keep going until they reach Huntsville. Rain is in the forecast over the weekend, so hopefully that will encourage more birds to stop. We need rain and we more neotropical migrants around Birmingham, hopefully we will get both in the next few weeks. I have to give a talk on my book at the Little River Center this Saturday so I will not be at the AOS Meeting, but I hope there is a nonlethal Fallout for the birders on Dauphin Island this weekend. In relation to Conservation matters, Forever Wild has weathered one attack but similar attacks are proposed so I will be sending out another alert later this evening.

Enjoy and Conserve the Creation,
Ken Wills

For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life,---Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Mathew 6:25-26

Join us on Facebook!