Date: 4/20/17 2:45 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (20 Apr 2017) 20 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 20 529 927

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (28): Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi, Ian Stewart (and family 4)
(plus DNS Donor group of 18), Hank Davis, Bill Haldeman.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy, becoming Partly Cloudy (100-50% cloud cover), Temps 58-73F, Winds
Light & Variable

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American
Kestrel, and numerous Black (35) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Repeat after me, Larry…one, two, three, four…”….
A singing Common Yellowthroat quickly became my 90th species at the Watch
this spring from the thicket to our north. I’ve been waiting for that
“witchity, witchity, witchity” for a couple of days. Ut oh! An accounting
error was discovered…the Yellowthroat was actually my 92nd species! Well,
tis the season for “accounting errors,” right? But in “my favor!?” Hmmm…a
hawk watcher who can’t count, though!?!? A White-throated Sparrow and
three White-crowned Sparrows (double-checked my addition, on that one) are
still at the feeders, they won’t be here too much longer. There was a
major push of Blue Jays migrating north this morning; a steady stream of
family groups.
Eastern Tailed Blue was added to our butterfly list.
Two Pileated Woodpeckers flew past Ian, Hank, Bill and a group of 20 DNS
Donors, as if on cue, when the visited the Hawk Watch. The rest of the
Stewart clan came later - Dad, Isaac, Ollie and Julie. We went to check on
the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (not there) and had Great Egret and the
season’s first Northern Parula and Yellow Warbler – but not from the Watch.
When we arrived back on site, an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail was feeding on
our bouquet from the other day. Virginia Bluebells was its source of
nectar. A fine choice, I must say! The afternoon’s weather improved, a
fine background of clouds presented themselves…still, hawks were not
“enticed.”
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Great Egret,
1-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Barred Owl, 2-N. Rough-winged Swallow, 1-Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, 1-Common Yellowthroat (FOY), 3-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 2, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Black
Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur, Wild Indigo Duskywing, American Lady.
Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.51; Steps: 12,921; Floors:
21.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list of species
identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area. We include it
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must
remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for “The Watch”
year. Here’s the species list, thus far, for this season – from the
watch:
<BR><BR>
Snow Goose---ROSS’S GOOSE---Canada Goose---Wood Duck---American Black
Duck---Mallard---Northern Pintail---Common Loon---Double-crested
Cormorant---Great Blue Heron---Great Egret---Black Vulture---Turkey
Vulture---Osprey---Bald Eagle---Northern Harrier---Sharp-shinned
Hawk---Cooper’s Hawk---Red-shouldered Hawk---Broad-winged Hawk---Red-tailed
Hawk---American Kestrel---Merlin---Killdeer---Ring-billed Gull---Herring
Gull---ICELAND GULL---LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL---Great Black-backed
Gull---Feral Pigeon---Mourning Dove---Barred Owl---Ruby-throated
Hummingbird---Belted Kingfisher---Red-bellied Woodpecker---Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker---Downy Woodpecker---Hairy Woodpecker---Northern
Flicker---Pileated Woodpecker---Eastern Phoebe---Blue Jay---American
Crow---Fish Crow---COMMON RAVEN---Horned Lark---Tree Swallow---N.
Rough-winged Swallow---Barn Swallow---Carolina Chickadee---Black-capped
Chickadee---Tufted Titmouse---Red-breasted Nuthatch---White-breasted
Nuthatch---Brown Creeper---Carolina Wren---House Wren---Winter
Wren---Golden-crowned Kinglet---Ruby-crowned Kinglet---Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher---Eastern Bluebird---American Robin---Northern
Mockingbird---Brown Thrasher---European Starling---American Pipit---Cedar
Waxwing---Yellow-rumped Warbler---Pine Warbler---Palm Warbler---Common
Yellowthroat---Eastern Towhee---American Tree Sparrow---Chipping
Sparrow---Field Sparrow---Savannah Sparrow---Fox Sparrow---Swamp
Sparrow---Song Sparrow---White-throated Sparrow---White-crowned
Sparrow---Dark-eyed Junco---Northern Cardinal---Red-winged
Blackbird---Rusty Blackbird---Common Grackle---Brown-headed
Cowbird---Purple Finch---House Finch---American Goldfinch---House Sparrow
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 51; this season: 92
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Common
Yellowthroat.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be good - if we dodge the possible AM
thunderstorm. A good cloud backdrop and light winds. And Saturday, well,
Saturday looks like it could be very good with the passage of a front. AND
WE WILL BE AT NEARBY STATELINE WOODS NATURE PRESERVE, ON SATURDAY.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: