Date: 4/20/17 2:25 pm
From: Kimberly Jannarone <kimberlyjannarone...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] BV Park: Two WTSP and 6 Warbler species
Hi Birders,

A glorious sunny morning at Buena Vista Park, still damp from the night's light rain, yielded a notable variety of warblers in the park.

Most unusual for this spot was a NASHVILLE WARBLER foraging in a short oak near the boardwalk. I heard what I assume what was this bird's song earlier in another part of the park: a two-parted song with the first phrase consisting of clear, syncopated notes, and the second part descending into a trill.

In small mixed flocks (like, really small: one was just three birds), I also had TOWNSEND'S, YELLOW-RUMPED, ORANGE-CROWNED, WILSON'S, and one gorgeous, fresh-plumaged BLACK-THROATED GRAY. Even better: all were singing.

Two WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS persist at the park. One white-striped bird in fresh plumage foraged near a brush pile just west of the tennis courts; the other was tan-striped with ragged tail feathers (presumably molting). The tan one was singing by the maintenance yard.

Yesterday morning at Mount Davidson, I bumped into Dom, who pointed out two OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERS hawking gypsy moths. Later a WESTERN KINGBIRD took up a post at the fallen dead tree.

Good birding,

Kimberly Jannarone

SF

Join us on Facebook!