Date: 4/20/17 2:13 pm
From: Jeffrey Tufts <jctufts33...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: Possible State bird replacements for Western Meadowlark
Has anyone asked why Senator Girod is interested in changing the state bird
of Oregon ? According to the biography on his web page, he was elected to
the State House of Representatives in 1992 and 2006. He was appointed to
the State Senate in 2008. Is making the Osprey the state bird of Oregon a
pet project in which he's been engaged for many years? Or did he just
recently take up the cause? If the latter, why after so many years ?

It would seem that any discussion on OBOL about possible replacements
(other than Osprey) gives Senator Girod (and his supporters in this
cause--whoever they are) added encouragement and ammuntion.

In the Western Meadowlark, Oregon has a wonderful state bird. Sorry to see
that anyone on OBOL is even considering any other species.

Jeff Tufts
Medford OR

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 1:45 PM, George Neavoll <gneavoll...>
wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From: *George Neavoll <gneavoll...>
> *Subject: **Re: [obol] Possible State bird replacements for Western
> Meadowlark*
> *Date: *April 20, 2017 1:42:17 PM PDT
> *To: *<jmoodie...>
> *Cc: *OBOL Birders Online <obol...>
>
> There is absolutely nothing wrong with Oregon's having the beautiful - in
> body and song - Western Meadowlark as our state bird. If other states
> wanted to follow our lead in designating the meadowlark - 90 YEARS AGO - as
> several have, more power to them. They, too, have chosen a beautiful bird.
>
> More than beauty is involved here, though. The Western Meadowlark was a
> common bird as I was growing up in the Willamette Valley in the '40s and
> '50s, but no more. Loss of habitat and other factors impelled them to leave
> many of their old familiar haunts, or disappear altogether. They need every
> bit of help they can get, and if its designation as Oregon's state bird
> does that, even to a small degree, that is a good thing.
>
> Legislators made a good choice in 1927 when they made the Western
> Meadowlark our state bird. It wouldn't take much for them to take up the
> "bird of the moment," and go with it instead. Let's not encourage them.
>
> GEORGE NEAVOLL
> S.W. Portland
>

> On Apr 20, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Jim Moodie wrote:
>
> I did a quick scan of ranges using Thayer’s Birding Software version 7.
> Using the eyeball test for species with broad distribution in the state,
> but fairly restricted outside of the state, I came up with:
>
> Mountain Quail (can be hard to see)
> Flammulated Owl (ditto)
>
> Rufous Hummingbird (I ignored ranges into Canada. OK, and Alaska)
>
> Red-breasted Sapsucker
> White-headed Woodpecker
>
> Cassin’s Vireo
> Pacific Wren
> Hermit Warbler
> Wilson’s Warbler (ignoring Canada again)
>
> Given the restrictions of range to the west side of the state for Hermit
> Warbler, I would lean towards Rufous Hummingbird: green and orange (UO &
> OSU alumni can get behind this), colorful, entertaining, easy to see with a
> feeder in place, and feisty! There are no hummer species representing any
> state at present.
>
> Cheers,
> jim
>
> Dr. Jim Moodie