Date: 4/20/17 2:02 pm
From: Eric Hough <000001be0e05c15a-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Minneola Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks continue (4/20/17)
April 20, 2017
The flock of 12 BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING-DUCKS continues in the Minneola area (Clark Co.) as of 3:15pm, but today at a different location: just west of town at a playa along the west side of County Rd. 5 south of Hwy. 54. Many playas in the area are filled with water and attracting decent numbers of waterfowl, shorebirds, and icterids, so it seems likely the whistling-ducks may linger in the area for a while as long as the playas still have water. Here's the link to my eBird list with the new location I found them at today:

The last few days in the Minneola area I've also been encountering Scissor-tailed Flycatchers, and lots of Grasshopper and Lark Sparrows. Shorebirds numbers have mostly been made up of American Avocets, Black-necked Stilts, Killdeer, Baird's Sandpipers, both yellowlegs species, and Wilson's Phalaropes, with smaller numbers of Semipalmated, Least, and Solitary Sandpipers, Willets, and Long-billed Dowitchers. Yesterday (4/19/17) I found an Upland Sandpiper in the rangeland along the western access road to Clark State Fishing Lake on the fork going to Bloom Cove. Several Spotted Towhees and an Osprey were present around the lake.

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Kansas City, MO

Sent from my iPhone