Date: 4/20/17 1:06 pm
From: Jim Moodie <jmoodie...>
Subject: [obol] Possible State bird replacements for Western Meadowlark
I did a quick scan of ranges using Thayer’s Birding Software version 7. Using the eyeball test for species with broad distribution in the state, but fairly restricted outside of the state, I came up with:

Mountain Quail (can be hard to see)
Flammulated Owl (ditto)

Rufous Hummingbird (I ignored ranges into Canada. OK, and Alaska)

Red-breasted Sapsucker
White-headed Woodpecker

Cassin’s Vireo
Pacific Wren
Hermit Warbler
Wilson’s Warbler (ignoring Canada again)

Given the restrictions of range to the west side of the state for Hermit Warbler, I would lean towards Rufous Hummingbird: green and orange (UO & OSU alumni can get behind this), colorful, entertaining, easy to see with a feeder in place, and feisty! There are no hummer species representing any state at present.

Cheers,
jim

Dr. Jim Moodie
Science Dept