Date: 4/20/17 9:21 am
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: hermit warbler questions
Good questions.

I doubt that they breed regularly anywhere east of Hwy 97.

If we are considering Meadowlark replacements as State Bird, I would suggest a different species that has not yet been brought up, but has some things in its favor.

1.  It does breed in Oregon, but not so extensively as Hermit Warbler.
2.  Some also winter in the state.
3.  It probably is regular in every Oregon county, at least in migration.
4.  It is not the State Bird of any other state.
5.  It is beautiful and considered a real treat by nearly everyone who sees it.
6.  It's range is larger than that of Hermit Warbler, but is still pretty much a west coast/Rocky Mountain specialty.

This is one of the Hermit Warbler's closest relatives:  Townsend's Warbler.

Wayne

On 4/20/2017 7:15:56 AM, <5hats...> <5hats...> wrote:

In just how many counties east of the Cascades is Hermit Warbler a breeding species?  In just how many of them has it even been recorded?

Darrel

Join us on Facebook!