Date: 4/20/17 8:32 am
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Las gallinas yesterday and breeding yellowthroats?
Cliff swallows are back in force along with 4 other swallow species and a few vaux's swifts. The winter-only ducks are way thinned out with only buffleheads and green winged teal, scaup, pintail, canvasback gone.
. About 15 common mergansers were scattered about.
Again I failed to find singing Common Yellowthroats in the front pond during a concerted look. At this time of year common yellowthroat and marsh wrens should be singing a duet (call and response, one then the other, teaming up really) as they always have here in my experience.
I know many people saw them there in early spring and winter, but anyone know of a territory now? To be clear I am not looking to "list" or photograph these birds. Nor to bother them.
I do want to confirm the presence or absence of a cup-nesting songbird species undergoing real declines in our area. This is a genuine conservation related concern and for me warrants real searches and attention.
The reeds are jammed with blackbirds and grackles, which eat eggs and nestlings. I believe nest predation, not birders (as some suggested) are the responsible for the absence of this species. There are very few breeding areas for reed/freshwater nesters in Marin. Fresh water marshes are among the most imperiled native habitats in the state.
Good to see the exploding populations of introduced Canada geese are not dominating the pond as in years passed. (Good work!) Hopefully our rarer native ducks will finally have a chance to breed!
Finally looking forward to seeing many of you at the the upcoming pt Reyes birding festival where I am doing a biking and birding field trip and a birding strategy class.

Sent from my iPhone

Listowners: mailto:<northbaybirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)