Date: 4/20/17 7:37 am
Subject: Kershaw County...warblers and a strange swallow

This morning before the office I walked around Camden Revolutionary War Park (aka Historic Camden).  Some migrant warblers have joined the breeders for 10 species in all:
1 Worm-eating1 Louisiana Waterthrush2 Northern Waterthrush2 Prothonotary3 Swainson's1 Common Yellowthroat4 Northern Parula1 Black-throated Blue2 Pine2 Yellow-throated
No Yellow-rumped.
I also found an odd swallow.  At first I called it a Purple Martin because it was very dark overall, appearing blackish.  As I kept an eye on it, though, I noticed it was no bigger than the barn Swallows nearby, it had a narrow unnotched tail, and the flight was not like a martin.  I had begun to consider N. Rough-winged Swallow when a "standard" one showed up, and the flight style and size of the two were identical.
The coloration was very dark chocolate brown or black, especially from the belly rearward.  The chest was dark but less so than the tail.  The upper parts were darker than the chest but not as black as the tail.  Colorwise it bore almost no resemblance to N. Rough-winged, but all other features observed point to some melanistic aberration of the same.  No vocalizations were heard.  I'm glad I wasn't dismissive after my first glimpse.

Steve PattersonCamden, SC

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Join us on Facebook!