Date: 4/19/17 6:51 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (19 Apr 2017) 10 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 509 907

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Kathleen Pileggi, Beaty Broughton, Stewart family
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy to Cloudy (50-100% cloud cover), Winds 49-58F, Winds SE 10-15
mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (45).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“It Was THEM!”….
On the way in to “work” today, as I made a call through my GPS and as she
told me to make a right turn in 1 mile, I pondered, “What if my GPS called
another GPS?” Would they tell each other where they’d each been? Perhaps
plan a trip together; going somewhere they’d both like to see. Would they
even invite me? Or maybe just one day take me to a place and drop me off -
scurrying away, together? Think about it…self-driving
cars…laptops…GPS….smart-phones…all talking behind your backs. Remember,
I’ve already caught my GPS talking to my cell phone, just last week! How
long will they choose to include us, likely the weakest link, in their
devious plans? Seriously, I seldom can get any of them to talk with me
now! Oh, it’s coming! Conspiracy fans, rejoice. The future looks bright
for us or is it THEM…ALL THEM?? Well, these are the kind of thoughts that
creep into my mind. And just why do I think of these types of things?
Remember, I had a brain injury. Although miraculously recovered far beyond
anyone could have anticipated, there could be a reason that I think the way
that I do…and guess what? I might be the last to know it, remember it, or
even care about it. Anyway, it passed the time as I made my way to Bucktoe
…or did “THEY” all get together, in some ‘tech-ploy’ AND TAKE ME
HERE….hmmmm?
I arrived where THEY took me to find conditions were better than
anticipated….at first. White billowy clouds…a hawk watchers friend,
prevailed. Two of the Stewart clan came to visit. They’ll be heading back
to England soon. A female Northern Harrier swept low in front of us,
providing a great look, even as the weather quickly deteriorated.
Susan Corkran called saying that her missing appointment book had
mysteriously turned up. She had thought that she might have left it at the
Hawk Watch the other day and I diligently searched for it even in the
parking lot - finding nothing. So, where had it been? I don’t know,
Susan, but I can be certain of one thing. “’THEY’ did it, Susan! ‘THEY’
are everywhere!!”
Beaty’s sunglasses turned up missing, too. Her glasses? You got it! “It
was ‘THEM!’”
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Barred Owl, 3-N.
Rough-winged Swallow, 2-Brown Thrasher, 6-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (0):
Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 2.18; Steps: 5,110; Floors: 12.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 89
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like another difficult day with morning showers
predicted.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: