Date: 4/19/17 6:48 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] My vote, The most Oregon bird is Hermit Warbler
I doubt there should be much question about it. Hermit Warbler is
abundant in our low-mid-high elevations forests along the coast and in the
Cascades. It doesn't winter here. It is scarce or absent in East Oregon.
From where I stand it is clearly our Warbler, and maybe should be our
Oregon bird. There might not be another passerine as common, or as easy to
detect overall in our mountains (mostly on the west side) as this. I
thought about Varied Thrush too, and Wilson's Warbler a little...With
Hermit Warbler, Oregon is central in its range. Some of this is about
range maps, any birds that live all over Oregon, they live everywhere else
too at least in the west. Hermit Warbler doesn't. I worked a few years
with a study about birds in managed forest vs not so, Back then Joan Hagar
from OSU and I commented on the Hermit Warbler, its everywhere in our
conifer forests more than almost any other bird, it is our Warbler

Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!