Date: 4/19/17 6:06 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest; Ashford/Union: FOY 3 Eastern Towhees
Slow day, probably because of the March temperatures and the nasty wind.
FOY
Eastern Towhees, undoubtedly came in last night. No songs but their
distinctive calls heard loud and often. I saw 2 of the 3, all up in Union. None
of the 4 Black-and -white's I've heard recently today, and either they were
silent because of the weather or moved on, which seems unlikely. At least 2
Broad-winged Hawks today, 1 calling, 1 soaring and 1 that flew right down
the middle of Boston Hollow road and landed on a branch 15 feet high and
about 10 feet from where I slid to a halt. We stared at each other for a
minute, then he flew off. I'm guessing it was the 1 I heard calling earlier.
Guess he misses me.

Apr 19, 2017 8:30 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
33 species

Wood Duck 1
Mallard 1 There has been a pair of Mallards in the Yale Forest for
years and I'm sure this is the male. His mate did not return this year. I see
him every day in one of the small ponds or Bigelow Brook, just floating
around. I have seen no other Mallards in the area so probably no immediate
chance for a new companion. I feel sorry for him.
Wild Turkey 1 What's with all the single turkeys this year? Every day
I see 1 turkey, always a different location and at least once, a young
looking male. Don't they travel in flocks any more?
Turkey Vulture 1
Broad-winged Hawk 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 13
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 6
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 15
Blue-headed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 18
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow 4
Black-capped Chickadee 15
Tufted Titmouse 12
White-breasted Nuthatch 7
Winter Wren 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 10
Louisiana Waterthrush 6
Pine Warbler 10
Chipping Sparrow 15
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Song Sparrow 3
Eastern Towhee 3 FOY - obviously came in last night
Northern Cardinal 7
Red-winged Blackbird 8
Common Grackle 4
Brown-headed Cowbird 15