Date: 4/19/17 3:52 pm
From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...>
Subject: [obol] Mt. Tabor, Portland
Hello All,

Today's Portland Audubon Bird Song walk was another pretty good walk. Numbers of migrants was down slightly but there was still plenty to see. Today's highlights were a Merlin Falcon and Red-breasted Sapsucker. The falcon gave us pretty good looks both perched and several times as it whizzed past at high speed. It was probably of the F. c. suckleyi race, or Taiga Merlin as Sibley refers to it. There is an outside chance it was of the F. c. suckleyi race, or Prairie Merlin as Sibley refers to it. Views of it when perched were distant and backlit so sub-species i.d. was difficult. The sapsucker allowed the entire group to walk within 10 or 12 feet of it as it drummed on the metal bracket of a street lamp. The most abundant migrant was Ruby-crowned Kinglet with around 25 seen. There were about 20 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 10 Black-throated Gray Warblers, 4 Nashville Warblers, 15 Orange-crowned Warblers and 1 MacGillivray's Warbler. I didn't see them but different participants heard and saw 2 Cassin's Vireos. Participants also reported two unidentified flycatchers. Hermit Thrushes are still around in small numbers. Sparrow numbers have declined. I can't recall if any Golden-crowned were seen today but I only saw one at my house today which is not far from the park. Evening Grosbeaks appeared as flyovers a few times with the largest number being around 30. Also, there was one Raven that flew over which is a bird song first and my first in the park (since 1983).

Good birding, Gerard

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR

Join us on Facebook!