Date: 4/19/17 1:21 pm
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Malheur Book Cover Image Needed
I ask your indulgence for something that is not a bird report but which may interest many members.

Some of you are aware that I am assembling a set of essays and related material on the Malheur-Steens region for submission in June to OSU Press. Although the press has not yet accepted the book for publication, they are enthusiastic about the idea and have given me a go-ahead to start trying to find an appropriate cover image. In effect, instead of contacting one person for images down the road we have decided that an open call is in order.

We need:

• A color image, probably a photograph but we would consider art that meets the remaining criteria.
• High enough resolution to crop into the right size and space.
• It needs to work with a 6x9 “portrait” orientation (that is, vertical).
• It needs to depict something clearly associated with and fairly typical of the Malheur area.
• It needs to have enough “open space” in it to allow placement of a title, author name and related text.
• It needs to be fairly simple and have some distinctiveness, for good shelf visibility in stores.
• I suspect that an image including a bird and some very distinctive background would work best.

If you have work that you’d like to have considered, please SEND me in an email a standard graphics file such as a JPEG, TIFF, PNG etc. No PDFs or embedded stuff. No referrals to Flickr etc. No Dropbox. If you’d like to mail me a CD or flash drive that’s fine.

Send me no more than TWO items for consideration. Adjust file size so that your message is no more than 10mb in size (two messages is ok). We can work with larger files later if needed, just let us know the situation. Small files are very helpful in the initial process.

I will send a broad selection of the best submissions to OSU Press for consideration. If the book is accepted, they will make the final choice of a cover.

There will be a payment of at least $100 for the chosen cover. And of course undying fame.

DEADLINE: MONDAY, JUNE 5 2017.

Apologies for those who were inconvenienced by reading an off-topic message. But hey, I’m a bad person.

Alan Contreras

<acontrer56...>
Eugene, Oregon

POST: Send your post to <obol...>