Date: 4/19/17 8:21 am
From: newtja84 <newtja84...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Northern Mockingbird Palo Alto County
Single individual observed 1 mile west of West Bend, Palo Alto county, Iowa
in a private farmstead on the NW corner of the intersection between 475th
ST and 570 Ave. I saw the bird whilst driving east, the bird flew across
the road into a bush, white flashes of underwing patches caught my
attention. I stopped, turned around and caught more fleeting glimpses of
white wing bars on a Brown Thrasher sized bird. I psshed a little and the
bird came out onto a fence post for a few seconds, long enough to register
its light gray body, lack of facial mask, and long thrasher-like bill.
Lack of mask and the bill structure excludes either shrike species, the
light gray body and white wing patches exclude other expected mimid
species. Unfortunately the individual was very fidgety and the traffic
kept it bouncing back into a bush before disappearing north into a grove on
the north side of the farmstead, I was unable to get a photo.

Jacob Newton
Humboldt County