Date: 4/18/17 8:01 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: The most Oregonian bird?
We should probably start with the list...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_birds

Wrentit is problematic for two reasons: 1) it does not occur east
of the Cascades which means 2/3 of the state might feel left out.
2) it has the suffix "tit" in it which is not a word one can use
easily around middle schoolers and Republicans.

Red-breasted Sapsucker runs into similar difficulties...

There are distributional issues with White-headed Woodpecker as well.

Oregon Junco is not Oregon Junco, it's Dark-eyed Junco. Sciency
taxonomic stuff vexes legislators...

We could pull a Utah and make California Gull our State Bird. Given
recent migratory trends, this may be appropriate.

But ultimately, I'm fine with Western Meadowlark. Oregon was the first
to adopt the species. So make Kansas and North Dakota change.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!