Date: 4/18/17 7:24 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford/Union
Rather quiet today, probably because of colder temps. Still most of the
species but in some cases less birds. Couldn't check northwestern Union
since the road was closed because of a sinkhole (which I reported yesterday).
Rotted out steel culvert that carries a stream under the road. They worked
on it today, so hopefully, open soon.
I had a pair of Palm Warblers foraging together today, which I thought
might have been male and female, but according to Sibley there is no variation
by sex. But one of the birds was our typical Palm and the other had a
noticeably whitish belly and was paler overall. It matched the picture of a
"western" Palm in Sibley quite well.

Apr 18, 2017 8:45 AM - 2:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
36 species

Turkey Vulture 3
Osprey 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 6
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 6
Downy Woodpecker 3
Northern Flicker 5
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 12
Blue-headed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 15
American Crow 1
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow 4
Black-capped Chickadee 20
Tufted Titmouse 12
White-breasted Nuthatch 4
Winter Wren 2
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 15
Louisiana Waterthrush 6
Northern Waterthrush 1 Likely same bird as yesterday. Now singing
frequently
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 2 Apparent pair, foraging together
Pine Warbler 25 In this area a very common nester. Nearly every mature
white pine has a pair. Undoubtedly a very low estimate of birds seen and
heard.
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Chipping Sparrow 12
Dark-eyed Junco 2