Date: 4/18/17 5:53 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (18 Apr 2017) 53 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 53 499 897

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Ian Stewart (and family +3), Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Temps 52-66F, Winds NNE 5-10

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (35) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“A Day for the Lists”….
“Loons, Cormorants and Broad-wings are flying - might be a good day!” Came
an excited text from friend, Mike Gardner. Mike was spotting those birds
over his home, not too far away, before the Watch started at 8am. Common
Loons did flash across our field of view once I started counting, becoming
our 88th species. A bit later, the first Ruby-throated Hummingbird – a
male, visited our feeders at 11:39am (#89). Welcome home, little fella!
Broad-winged Hawks were moving early on…my total reaching 27 birds. Hey, a
Brown Thrasher is suddenly on one of the suet feeders, going to town – a
new species for our “feeder list.” Wonder if he’s the one who’s been
singing so regularly nearby? I wonder if “he’s,” a “he?” Chris chased him
off to the ground, reclaiming “his” suet.
The season’s first Pearl Crescent and Wild Indigo Duskywing added to our
Butterfly list.
Bird bander, Ian & family were here again today – Dad, Sister and son,
Ollie – out enjoying the sun and the splendiferous environs here at
Bucktoe.
A Cooper’s Hawk flew by, its presence first indicated to me by the alarm
notes of assorted feeder birds at our station – Chickadees, Cardinals,
White-crowned Sparrows all emitted a scolding alarm note - diving for
cover. It’s truly amazing how they can see and identify a bird as an
accipiter and as a threat…I could barely see it. Of course, their lives
depend on it.
First Dragonfly on the list flew directly past….large, dark blue
back….about all I can say is what it wasn’t. Guess it won’t make the list.
Sadly, both times we checked the spot for the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron,
we struck out. Tonight we have our volunteer banquet at Longwood Gardens.
I made the list of over 15 years as a volunteer there.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 4-Common Loon, 1-Ruby-throated Hummingbird,
1-Belted Kingfisher, 2-N. Rough-winged Swallow, 8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Orange
Sulphur, Wild Indigo Duskywing, American Lady. Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.1; Steps: 16,649; Floors: 46.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 89
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” Common
Loon, Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks a bit brighter in the morning...clouding up in the
afternoon. Rain looks like it will hold off.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: