Date: 4/18/17 5:32 pm
From: Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe...>
Subject: [texbirds] Frontera and La Sal Viejas
Hi, all!

Took visiting birders Mike and Sally from Britain out today; with the rain
overnight I thought Frontera would be a good place to check for migrants!
We weren't disappointed, with highlights including Philadelphia Vireo,
Blue-winged Warbler, Northern Parula, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Mississippi
Kites, a Solitary Sandpiper, a Painted Bunting, a couple of
Chuck-will's-widows, and two snappy Green Kingfishers! Simon K. had a
Bell's Vireo which we couldn't get on, but he DID find us a stunning
Chestnut-sided Warbler! :) After finally dragging ourselves away from there
we stopped for lunch then headed up to CR 20 in the La Sal Viejas area,
adding Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers, a Roadrunner, lots of Scissortails,
Indigo Buntings, a Bullock's Oriole, and a kingbird chasing a Harris' Hawk!
On the way home we passed a great little wetland on FM 493 that had tons of
shorebirds (see list below)!

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

Mottled Duck