Date: 4/18/17 1:56 pm
From: Ted Floyd <tedfloyd57...>
Subject: [cobirds] The ongoing saga of the Boulder County phoebes
Hey, everybody.

I stopped by the Walden Ponds area, Boulder County, earlier this Tuesday,
Apr. 18, where I saw two phoebes along Boulder Creek near the 75th St.
bridge. One was a *black phoebe,* probably the bird present there since
late March. Also present was an *eastern phoebe* gathering nest material
and taking it under the bridge. I wonder if the black phoebe is the eastern
phoebe's mate; I detected no other phoebes at the site. Actually, that's
not true. There was a *Say phoebe* in the general vicinity, but it was away
from the creek, in the dry uplands south of the creek, closer to Cottonwood
Marsh.

There was a time, not all that long ago, when any Boulder County phoebe
other than a Say phoebe was noteworthy. Now we have multiple occurrences of
mixed-species detections on creeks and rivers in the counties. For sure, we
should be on the lookout for hybrids. Nathan Pieplow has published on what
to look for--and, in particular, what to listen for--when we're dealing
with hybrid phoebes. With both species expanding their ranges in Colorado,
it will be fascinating and important to see if hybridization becomes
extensive.

Also at Walden Ponds this morning: 5 *wood ducks,* 1 *white-faced ibis,* 2 *broad-winged
hawks,* *northern rough-winged swallows, yellow-rumped warblers, Gambel's
white-crowned sparrows,* and a *savannah sparrow.*

Here are the Boulder Creek phoebes (Eastern, left; Black, right):

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8w7KA6Yf54w/WPZ0ZxfmtgI/AAAAAAAAWHo/lTRTaAEaCBgAJN5BFBdRFVKK-yVxe046gCLcB/s1600/EaPh.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oyb0SyVqTyc/WPZ0f8xOH4I/AAAAAAAAWHs/i2wpeEjB5P45JEqRoqWiz8vpzZ-6JibqACLcB/s1600/BlPh.JPG>

And here is the Eastern Phoebe gathering nest material:

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yrgAUlmEmuM/WPZ8kXSZX1I/AAAAAAAAWH4/wGc5D2dbLe0qdB26kIYk9ZIC6Nv5Qmy2gCLcB/s1600/EaPh%2Bnest%2B01.JPG>
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-brM8NWR5igw/WPZ1MOoHSLI/AAAAAAAAWHw/FfB11gBrn6cbGgPRmApkscoznMHmEj17gCLcB/s1600/EaPh%2Bnest%2B02.png>

Ted Floyd

Lafayette, Boulder County