Date: 4/18/17 1:48 pm
From: Jack E. Solomon <00000003433c95af-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Frick Today, Allegheny County, 2 Warbs, a vireo, Pileated's nest news
On the trail known on the old, 1936, Ezra Stiles map as Homewood-Clayton Trail (connecting S. Clayton Tr. with Biddle Tr.):Black-throated Green WarblerYellow-rumped WarblerBlue-headed Vireo
Up on Clayton Hill in the meadowHermit Thrush
If you know where the Pileated Woodpecker's nest hole is, don't be alarmed by the big white X painted on the dead tree. Though it is marked for removal, Dick Wilford, the park maintenance supervisor, has assured me repeatedly that it will be spared until the young fledge.
Both false Solomon's seal and Solomon's seal are coming up all over the park. The latter is in bud a few places. Wild ginger blooms on the hillside adjacent to the trail described in the 1st sentence, above.
Jack Solomon, with Sue Solomon

The following is off-topic, and to cast it in terms as friendly as possible, of questionable logic. Only people with time to waste should read it.
Chuck Tague once called the following argument which I make periodically, "Solomon's Rant": I've said it before, but please don't ask me to call false Solomon's seal by its new, less valid, more politically correct, name, Solomon's plume. The various Solomon's seals get their name from the 6-pointed scar on their root. This is reminiscent of King Solomon's famous 6-pointed star, which served as his seal. The flowers also have 6 points.
In short, Solomon had a *seal.* If he was given to affecting plumes, or had some affinity for plumes, history appears not to have regarded that affectation worth recordation.  It is not an insult to a plant to put *false* in its name. That word before Solomon's seal merely (helpfully, actually) means it looks like what we usually call Solomon's seal. Some plant and place names contain vulgarity or bigoted words and should be changed.  This ain't one of 'em. Changing common names for passing, trivial, reasons, leads to confusion about identity.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Join us on Facebook!