Date: 4/18/17 11:19 am
From: Larry Cartwright via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Red-breasted Nuthatch and Purple Finches at Huntley Meadows Kings Highway side.
While checking my nest boxes today along the Hike-Bike Trail side of Huntley
Meadows, I found a few interesting birds, both migrants and potential
breeders. I began the day by discovering a Red-breasted Nuthatch vocalizing
from one of the Virginia Pines along the paved path to the Maintenance
Building. Common Yellowthroats seemed to be everywhere, while Ovenbirds
were concentrated along the Pond Trail. Red-headed Woodpeckers were at two
locations where they have been spotted before, near the bridge at the North
Marsh and near the entrance to the Woodcock Meadow on the opposite side. I
also heard and then spotted Purple Finches near the Woodcock meadow entrance
near the small sign. A small flock of Rusty Blackbirds were in the marsh
near the Water Control Structure.

Huntley Meadows Park--Hike and Bike Trail, Fairfax, Virginia, US Apr 18,
2017 6:41 AM - 11:03 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments: Route consists of Hike-Bike and Pond Trails, Woodcock and
adjacent meadows, Central and North Wetlands, and water control structure.
Weather was sunny with light breeze and temperatures ranging from

53 to 63 degrees Fahrenheit.

37 species

Canada Goose 20

Wood Duck 5

Mallard 6

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 3

American Coot 1

Mourning Dove 5

Red-headed Woodpecker 4 Two near the bridge along the North Marsh and
two near the Woodcock Meadow on the opposite side of the Hike-Bike Trail.

Red-bellied Woodpecker 17

Downy Woodpecker 7

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 4

Pileated Woodpecker 1

Blue Jay 41

American Crow 1

Fish Crow 3

Tree Swallow 26

Carolina Chickadee 26

Tufted Titmouse 42

Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 In Virginia Pine near maintenance building

White-breasted Nuthatch 5

Carolina Wren 7

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 18

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4

Hermit Thrush 1

American Robin 8

Ovenbird 10 Concentrated along Pond Trail

Common Yellowthroat 19 Black mask. Singing "witchity" song.

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 13

Chipping Sparrow 3

White-throated Sparrow 21

Eastern Towhee 10

Northern Cardinal 20

Red-winged Blackbird 38

Rusty Blackbird 8 near water control structure

Common Grackle (Purple) 1

Brown-headed Cowbird 7

Purple Finch 7 Near entrance to Woodcock Meadow.

American Goldfinch 34

View this checklist online at

Larry Cartwright

<prowarbler...> <mailto:<prowarbler...>