Date: 4/18/17 10:36 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Mystery Hawk seen soaring high above NE Portland
I am notoriously bad on raptors, but I don't think this is a harrier (famous last words) and Swainson's (which is quite variable) fits pretty well. I think it has scrunched its wings a bit for a power glide. This is the right time of year for Swainson's.

Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

<acontrer56...>

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 18, 2017, at 10:14 AM, Eric Carlson <carl8630...> wrote:
>
> I was out bird watching today at the base of Rocky Butte and remembered that I should look up every once in a while, 'cause that's where the birds are.
>
> Lucky me, I found one, but I'm not sure what it is.
>
> (link below and photo attached)
> https://ericarlson.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/20170418-_t9a9477.jpg?w=238
>
> Coloration on body looks right for a Northern Harrier, but wings don't quite look right and its tail appears too short
>
> Body shape looks right for Swainson's, but it isn't a color morph my Sibley's guide has, and this is not a bird I have seen more than a handful of times.
>
> I'm stumped, and I would really appreciate another opinion (or several).
>
> Migration is here!
>
> ERIC
> <20170418-_T9A9477.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!