Date: 4/18/17 10:15 am
From: Eric Carlson <carl8630...>
Subject: [obol] Mystery Hawk seen soaring high above NE Portland
I was out bird watching today at the base of Rocky Butte and remembered
that I should look up every once in a while, 'cause that's where the birds
are.

Lucky me, I found one, but I'm not sure what it is.

(link below and photo attached)
https://ericarlson.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/20170418-_t9a9477.jpg?w=238

Coloration on body looks right for a Northern Harrier, but wings don't
quite look right and its tail appears too short

Body shape looks right for Swainson's, but it isn't a color morph my
Sibley's guide has, and this is not a bird I have seen more than a handful
of times.

I'm stumped, and I would really appreciate another opinion (or several).

Migration is here!

ERIC

Join us on Facebook!