Date: 4/18/17 8:29 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamlin Beach SP - 4/17 - many FOY, see note on west end trail
     Just back from watching grouse for a week+, and finally the back of Hamlin Beach SP open. I did a brief lake look; too choppy to waste time trying to count all, but good selection of waterbirds and list below.    Drove to end of Parking Lot 5 and walked trail to west. Good birding, but several spots with downed trees across the trail to pick through - see note with list copied below.Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>
Hamlin Beach SP - Parking Area 4, Monroe, New York, US
Apr 17, 2017 9:50 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:    Short look off lakewatch. Too choppy for good counting of birds on water.
21 species

White-winged Scoter  2
Long-tailed Duck  50
Bufflehead  8
Red-breasted Merganser  150
Red-throated Loon  1
Common Loon  12
Horned Grebe  15
Red-necked Grebe  10
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Turkey Vulture  2
Ring-billed Gull  25
Herring Gull  4
Caspian Tern  8
Northern Flicker  1
Merlin  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
American Robin  4
Pine Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  6
House Finch  2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36060022

Hamlin Beach SP - West end woods, Monroe, New York, US
Apr 17, 2017 10:25 AM - 11:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.8 mile(s)
Comments:    First chance to try the west end loop this year. [Closed to time we traveled and just back.] The trail was blocked by three blow-downs across the trail - a series of sumac down shortly after entering the grass/mud trail past the restroom, then a few locusts down about halfway to the bigger woods, and finally a few trees down just before returning to the blacktop service road. I managed to pick my way and break a few pieces of the first two blockages to get through and walked around the end of the last. Most of the birds were just on first entering the trail and along the service road. The swallows were over the end of the parking lot and in the trees adjacent; changing set of migrants at start and finish.
37 species

Turkey Vulture  2
Caspian Tern  3
Mourning Dove  3