Date: 4/18/17 5:45 am
From: VisteSparkman, Karen <karen_vistesparkman...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Sedge Wrens and Grasshopper Sparrows
Yesterday and today I heard several SEDGE WRENS at Neal Smith NWR. This
morning I heard my first GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS in the bison enclosure.
HENSLOW'S SPARROW numbers seem to have increased in the last week, and
eBird is still flagging them as rare even though the third week in April is
when I typically expect them. Since there has been no burning on the refuge
for over a year, this should be a good year for them. There's still a
chance some burning may happen but I'm not optimistic. EASTERN MEADOWLARK
numbers also are higher than usual in the absence of burning.
--
Karen Viste-Sparkman
Wildlife Biologist

"When you have seen one ant, one bird, one tree, you have not seen them
all."
E. O. Wilson