Date: 4/17/17 7:46 pm
From: Tucker J. Lutter <lutter...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Eurasian Wigeon, Woodbury County
Hello Birders,
Paul Roisen and I made a trip through Woodbury, Monona, and Harrison
Counties today. We had 90 species, the highlight being a Eurasian Wigeon at
the Owego Wetlands Complex in Woodbury Co. It was first seen at 3:30 pm and
was still present when we left at 5:30 pm. It was seen on the large pond to
the south of 290th Street, just east of the intersection with Franklin Ave.
There is a parking lot off the south side of 290th Street that marks the
spot. 8 birders observed the wigeon and no signs of hybridization were
present.
Some other highlights included 10 Swainson's Hawks following a tractor
to the east of Owego Wetlands. Table Marsh in Woodbury Co. produced an two
Cattle Egrets, an American Bittern, a Virginia Rail, an American Avocet and
2 Great-tailed Grackle. The Dairy Ponds in Woodbury Co. had two Cattle
Egrets and two Baird's Sandpipers. Davis Marsh in Monona Co. produced a FOY
Orange-crowned Warbler. Shorebird numbers and diversity remains low and
waterfowl numbers were moderate with most of the expected species being
seen in small numbers with the exception of the large numbers of
Blue-winged Teal.
Also, I observed 6 Broad-winged Hawks at Brown's Lake in Woodbury Co.
yesterday.

Good Birding,

Tucker J. Lutter
Bronson, IA