Date: 4/17/17 7:33 pm
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Cone and continuing Coralville Res shorebirds
Birders,

James Huntington and I took a quick trip down to Cone Marsh this afternoon
to find the Great-tailed Grackle and whatever else. We struck out on the
grackle again. We were there in the afternoon and the birding wasn't too
spectacular (54 species), although our highlight was an early CLAY-COLORED
SPARROW. I saw another report on eBird just north of Burlington this
morning for this species that had great photos.

Water levels are high at Cone right now. The waterfowl have really dropped
off lately, with single to very few diving duck species. There was a flock
of around 20 Bonaparte's Gulls rafting and flying off and on north of the
dike. American White Pelicans were either floating or flying at multiples
levels of stratification throughout the air column above the marsh.

At Sandy Beach in Johnson County Jim Forde's seven AMERICAN AVOCETS were
WAY distant and NW of Scales Point. If they held that current position
they would have good light on them from the point in the AM as Jim
mentioned. The single HUDSONIAN GODWIT was just east of a grounded flock
of pelicans along Sandy Beach (east of the main beach). The bird slept and
preened most of the time we were there. With a good scope this bird would
be visible from Twin View Heights in the AM. You could probably still get
it closer at Sandy Beach too in less desirable lighting. That is, if it
stays in the general area where we saw it last. Pelicans were highly
stratified in the air column over Sandy Beach as well, some SUPER high up.

I checked on some Cattle Egrets that were reported on Oak Ave NE just west
of Solon, but was not able to find anything.

Best,
Brandon Caswell
Marion