Date: 4/17/17 5:39 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: white-throated sparrow, Centennial/Arapahoe
I've had the good fortune of watching a White-throated Sparrow this fall
and winter at Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve (Arapahoe), which I think
isn't far from Karl's Colorado Blvd / Orchard Rd yard in Centennial. It's
probably the same one. I first saw it in late-November. In late-December
and early-January it was fairly conspicuous, hanging out at the edge of the
High Line Canal Trail, foraging berries. But, like Karl, I hadn't seen the
bird for several weeks. Before seeing it this weekend, associating with a
Lincoln's Sparrow, I last saw it in late-February.

I can't say for sure, but it sounded like this one was starting to sing.
There were all sorts of weird sparrowy noises coming from the area. I think
the Lincoln's was, too. But it sure sounded like the first few notes of a
White-throated's song were coming from the area where the bird was.

In addition to the White-throated, I suspect a Hermit Thrush spent the fall
& winter in west Arapahoe Co. I've sighted one in the same general area of
the High Line Canal in deKoevend Park in October, November, January, March,
and April.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO