Date: 4/17/17 5:11 pm
From: Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe...>
Subject: [texbirds] South Padre Island
Hi, all!

Took visiting photographers Venu and Sam out to the Island today, as that
was the only place in the Valley it was supposed to be dry! :-D Well, we
had a surprise rain shower (the south tail of a bigger monster north of us)
that actually DID bring some migrants down, but now in huge numbers; once
the rain quit we had a few nice migrants (see list below), highlights
including Blackpoll at the CC water feature and along the boardwalk, and a
couple of Blue-winged Warblers at Sheepshead. Venu was particularly happy
with the Dickcissel! We drove out on the Flats once the sun came out and
the guys had a ball shooting skimmers, terns, and gulls (including a lone
Franklin's Gull); a lone Common Tern was my FOS. Waves and waves of
Franklin's Gulls sailed past the area but didn't land. Oh, on the way to
the Island we stopped at the "Blue Shack" and bagged both Aplomado Falcon
and Chihuahuan Raven! :)

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

Mottled Duck