Date: 4/17/17 12:09 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Twenty-five birders set out on today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk in a gentle, refreshing rain.  The rain came and went most of the morning, but it had no effect on the birding.  Our first Prothonotary Warblers of the season put on a dazzling show at nearly eye level in some trees near the tower.  We also were entertained by a large flock of Blue-grey Gnatcatchers as they teased us with a game of Find-the-Nest.  We were unable to find the Sora or the Virginia Rail that were reported at Huntley over the weekend.  We did spot a solitary Solitary Sandpiper, as well as Yellow-rumped, Common yellow throat, Palm, and Pine Warblers.
Canada Goose  35
Wood Duck  20
Mallard  4
Green-winged Teal  2
Hooded Merganser  12
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Blue Heron  4
Green Heron  2
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
American Coot  3
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Ring-billed Gull  1
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  2
Chimney Swift  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  5
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  30
American Crow  2
crow sp.  24
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  5
Purple Martin  2
Tree Swallow  25
Barn Swallow  2
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  36
Golden-crowned Kinglet  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Eastern Bluebird  6
American Robin  10
Prothonotary Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  6
Palm Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
Chipping Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  24
Song Sparrow  1
Swamp Sparrow  8
Eastern Towhee  4
Northern Cardinal  8
Red-winged Blackbird  32
Rusty Blackbird  24
Common Grackle  3
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
American Goldfinch  4

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park