Date: 4/17/17 11:57 am
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 4 places in Ipswich, Apr 17, 2017: white-faced ibis, Va. rails
> 142 County Rd., Ipswich (home)
> Apr 17, 2017 9:30 AM
> Protocol: Incidental
> Comments: The house wren I reported on April 11 at my house was no
> fluke. He has been singing here every day since.
> 1 species
>
> House Wren 1 See notes above. My previous early arrival record for
> the county was April 20, 2012. So my bird on 4/11/17 beats that record by
> 9 days.

Argilla-Northgate-Essex Rd. Fields Complex, Ipswich
Apr 17, 2017 10:30 AM - 10:45 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: I first went to Hamlin Res. to look for ibises, but promptly
saw a flock fly out of that marsh and into the farm fields across Argilla
Rd. So I drove over to the riding stables and looked from the lane, where I
saw a flock of 36 ibises. At least one was a white-face. Those ibis
flocks move around a LOT.
8 species; highlights:

Glossy Ibis 35
White-faced Ibis 1 Red eyes and face entirely bordered in white; also
saw the red 'knees.'

View this checklist online at

Crane Beach, Ipswich
Apr 17, 2017 10:55 AM - 12:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: I took a brief look at the ocean and almost got blown off the
platform, so I walked entirely in the dunes and pitch pines. I was hoping
for thrashers and field sparrows and heard one of them.
25 species (+1 other taxon); partial list:

Great Egret 1
Osprey 1
Bald Eagle 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2 not seen
Black-capped Chickadee 5
Tufted Titmouse 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Northern Mockingbird 1
Pine Warbler 2 apparent pair
Field Sparrow 1 singing right off the parking lot
Eastern Towhee 7
Red-winged Blackbird ~30
Common Grackle ~45
Brown-headed Cowbird 3
blackbird sp. 5 These could have been rusties, but I didn't see them
well enough. With the blackbird flock.

View this checklist online at

Heartbreak Road marshes, Ipswich
Apr 17, 2017 12:45 PM - 12:55 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: I stopped at one point on the road to listen for rails and
succeeded. Not a complete list.
3 species

Turkey Vulture 2
Virginia Rail 2