Date: 4/17/17 11:33 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Elba Mucklands - Shorebirds!
I started my day at the Batavia WWTP but discovered that the tunnel to most
of the ponds is still closed. The best bird there was a SANDHILL CRANE that
flew over and then appeared to drop into the wetlands on the adjacent
property.

At the Elba Mucklands I was pleasantly surprised to find extensive wetland
habitat. The flooded fields on the south side of the drainage ditch look
quite deep and there were lots of ducks there, mainly PINTAIL and
GREEN-WINGED TEAL. The flooded corn stubble fields on the north side look
great for shorebirds. I had 30 GREATER and two LESSER YELLOWLEGS, six
PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, one early LEAST SANDPIPER, and Killdeer. I assume there
are snipe here also though I did not see any. The best shorebird fields were
on either side of the "Dead End" sign and as noted, on the north side of the
drainage ditch. Also, in these two fields were two SANDHILL CRANES. This is
a dirt road and is rutted in spots but I made it to the Dead End sign with
no problem in our Prius. Here is my eBird checklist:

I also checked a flooded field that Joel Strong told me about. It is on Rt
104, between Rt 63 and Marshall Rd, about 0.4 miles east of Marshall on the
south side of Rt 104. This looks like a good spot and today it held 33
GREATER YELLOWLEGS.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna