Date: 4/17/17 10:22 am
From: Tammy Frech <tfrech3...>
Subject: Lake Wilhelm mercer co. Rare birds possible
I birded along Lake Wilhelm yesterday. Late morning, near boat launch #4, I saw what appears to be a Greater-white fronted goose and 4 cackling geese. I realize that these are rare sightings for this area (according to eBird when I posted last night) and would love for someone to confirm. The cackling geese would be a life bird for me.

I saw Greater white fronted at Miller’s pond last year after others posted their presence so I feel confident of that ID. When I first saw the other geese following behind it on the water, I thought they were Canada geese only smaller. Then I noticed the shorter necks. They were visibly smaller in overall size than the white-fronted goose. My field guide was handy; they look like cackling geese to me as viewed with binoculars; much too windy for the scope or for photos.

Other birds of note: a pair of Common Loons, West Creek Rd @ Billy Boyd Rd
Nesting osprey off bridge near the propagation area
Nesting eagle in its designated spot off Lake Wilhelm Rd.
100+double crested cormorants seen from W. Creek Rd.

Full report on eBird.

Tammy Frech Arnold

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!