Date: 4/17/17 7:33 am
From: The \Nunn Guy\ <colorado.birder...>
Subject: [cobirds] Mountain Plover Returning [Keota, Weld]
Hi all

The group I led on my Pawnee National Grasslands Birding trip on Saturday
were treated to four Mountain Plover at the now most reliable location for
Mountain Plover in Weld County (and has been last 3-4 years). This place
had 7 on one day last year for me. The location is the giant prairie dog
colony just west of Hwy 390 and Weld CR 100 intersection. Weld CR 100 is
just north of Keota. Drive west about one mile the dog colony is on south
and is expansive. We had three plover just off the road in fine view for
photographers. Group got see to see male defend his female a few times
chasing the second male numerous times whilst the female lay on the ground
watching intently.

Overall 47 species seen in and around Pawnee NG to include:

- Mountain Plover - 4
- McCown's Longspur - 6-8 along Weld CR 96
- Burrowing Owl - 4 (same dog colony as above; and one at Weld CR 33 btw
98/100)
- Vesper Sparrow - numerous
- Loggerhead Shrike - 4+
- Many ducks
- Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1 (Crow Valley Campground)
- Brown-headed Cowbird - 1

Sunday, Stewart's Pond has 13 "peeps", I believe all Least Sandpiper-still
got to look at photos closely though.

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn

http://coloradobirder.club/