Date: 4/17/17 4:02 am
From: Mary Beth Stowe <mbstowe...>
Subject: [texbirds] South Padre and Laguna Atascosa
Hi, all!

Took visiting birders Ed, Janette, Eddie, and Sue Beth out for some general
birding yesterday; we tried the Island once again, but once again it was
slow with just a few migrants (but good quality - best was a cooperative
Veery). Despite the Easter crowd had good close looks at the larids on The
Flats as well. The MacGillivray's Warbler at Laguna Atascosa hadn't been
seen all day, but we did get a Summer Tanager on the Kiskadee Trail, and
pretty Valley specialties were coming in to the water feature to delight!
Despite the relative lack of migrants we ended up with a hefty list of 91
species! Will post pictures on Facebook as soon as I'm able.

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

Mottled Duck

Redhead

Red-breasted Merganser

Plain Chachalaca

Pied-billed Grebe

Double-crested Cormorant

Brown Pelican

Least Bittern

Great Blue Heron

Great Egret

Snowy Egret

Little Blue Heron

Tricolored Heron

Reddish Egret

Cattle Egret

Green Heron

White Ibis

Roseate Spoonbill

Black Vulture

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Harris's Hawk

White-tailed Hawk

Common Gallinule

American Coot

Black-necked Stilt

American Oystercatcher

Black-bellied Plover

Snowy Plover

Wilson's Plover

Semipalmated Plover

Killdeer

Greater Yellowlegs

Willet

Lesser Yellowlegs

Whimbrel

Ruddy Turnstone

Stilt Sandpiper

Sanderling

Dunlin

Least Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

Western Sandpiper

Wilson's Phalarope

Laughing Gull

Ring-billed Gull

Least Tern

Gull-billed Tern

Royal Tern

Sandwich Tern

Black Skimmer

Rock Pigeon

Eurasian Collared-Dove

White-winged Dove

Mourning Dove

White-tipped Dove

Lesser Nighthawk

Buff-bellied Hummingbird

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

Ladder-backed Woodpecker

Crested Caracara

Brown-crested Flycatcher

Great Kiskadee

Tropical Kingbird

Couch's Kingbird

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

White-eyed Vireo

Green Jay

Horned Lark (probable - Janette caught the yellow)

Barn Swallow

Black-crested Titmouse

Sedge Wren

Marsh Wren