Date: 4/16/17 7:02 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (16 Apr 2017) 30 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 30 439 837

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Carl Mease, Holly Merker,
Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (21): Scott Barnes, Tom Brokaw, Beaty Broughton, Colleen DelMonte,
Laureen Eick-Benson, Evelyn & Mike Fowles, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lana Glass,
Arild Hestvik, Susan Huffington, Lily Li, Carl Mease, Holly Merker,
Kathleen Pileggi, Mutsuko Sato, Carol Spease, Camila Faraday (plus 2).
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25-50% cloud cover), Temps 62-81F, Winds SW 10-20 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (30) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“A Rare Bird, Indeed”….
Our regular Sunday bird walk at Bucktoe was to be for early season
warblers. Instead, it was fraught with anxiety and anticipation of looking
for the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, found and photographed by Gerry Teig
just yesterday along the Red Clay Creek below us, and reported to me just
last evening. Also, there was that nest-building Blue Gray Gnatcatcher we
had found on our walk yesterday. The Gnatcatcher cooperated; the Heron,
not so much. Sadly, it was nowhere to be found. As for warblers…only
Yellow-rumped were represented. When we arrived at the Hawk Watch,
following this morning’s walk, the “Little Blip,” Holly, had things well in
order. She FINALLY got to see her chair…(hear that, GARY?)…but she feigned
surprise nonetheless. (Friend, Gary had told her about her customized
chair with her nickname “little blip” scripted on it, that we’d gotten her
before she was ever here to see it) A few Sharpies drifted past the group,
several Bald Eagles, but no major movement.
The season’s first Monarch butterfly flew by – a weathered individual. It
missed being the earliest ever recorded in Pennsylvania by a single day!
Also, we saw a pair of mating Black Swallowtails… It was a fine early
season day for the butterflies with 9 species being seen.
The highlight of the day had to be us all hopping in the EBNT van driving
around the border of the property to try once again, to see the adult
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron …just a few hundred yards down the hill from our
Hawk Watch site! You see, Holly had seen it where we had missed it
earlier. This time we had success. Incredible find, Gerry!! And thanks,
Joe for re-finding it this morning and Holly, this afternoon - resting the
day away, high up a tree leaning over the creek! It was only my second
ever, Chester County sighting of this rare, long-legged wader of more
southerly distribution. Those of you on our first walk this morning (and
anyone else), hoping to see our rare heron and missing it, follow the blog
to see if it remains and stop by the Hawk Watch. If still here, we’ll go
see it together…now, that I’m wise to its activities. As of this evening,
it remains. It was not seen from the Hawk Watch site, but House Wren was
identified from there, becoming our 87th species.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 2-Wood Duck, 1-Great Blue Heron,
2-Rough-winged Swallow, 2-House Wren, 1-Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
2-Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 2-Brown Thrasher, 1-Palm Warbler, 10-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 1, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Black Swallowtail, Orange
Sulphur, Meadow Fritillary, Mourning Cloak, American Lady. Dragonflies
(0); Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Garner Snake. Mammals (1): Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.76; Steps: 20,557; Floors:
49.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 51; this season: 87
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” House
Wren.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be a bit wet in the morning
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: