Date: 4/16/17 6:24 pm
From: Ann Pettigrew <rook185...>
Subject: Re: Ethics: Sensitive Species / Nesting Raptor Reporting
It has been interesting to watch the evolution of photography in what was solely a binoculars and spotting scope toting activity. I have met a lot of photographers who have not been able to name the birds they were photographing, but, at least they were appreciating the beauty of birds.

We ran into some very rude and disrespectful photographers at Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel in Florida this year. We were all standing near an osprey nest that had nearly full grown chicks when the banter started up. They got louder and louder and were laughing so loud that the adult on the nest would turn to look down at these people. I did suggest to the manager that they put a sign up below the nest asking people to stay quiet. Shocks me that you would even have to tell adults to be quiet around a nest.

In retrospect, I wish I had had the guts to tell them myself but by then I was so angry and annoyed that I was afraid I would say something I might regret. Next time, I will be the adult and ask them to keep it down.

Have a good night.

Ann

Ann C. Pettigrew, V.M.D.
York, PA