Date: 4/16/17 4:51 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest: 2 FOY, Super Sapsucker!
FOY Broad-winged Hawk, Black-and -white Warbler. Numbers of other regulars
are increasing. I only got the Black-and -white because I stopped to talk
to someone on the way out and the bird sounded off literally right next to
us. Been looking for 1 for 2 weeks now. 39 species high for the season so f
ar.

I always stop at the beginning of Boston Hollow Rd (dirt portion) to get
my gear out for the day. A few days ago I had just opened the car door when
I almost hit the dirt because it sounded like a machine gun had opened up
on me. It wasn't till I recognized the uneven rat-tat-tat of a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that I realized what it was. But what a sound - like no
Sapsucker you ever heard! I looked directly across the road and there is a metal
sign that says "no hunting", and I finally found him on the tree trunk just
below the sign. And when he did it again all hell broke loose as he
pounded on the bottom of the sign.
And today, he got me again. I think he was lying in wait. Hope all the
local Sapsucker honeys are as impressed as I was. That racket must carry a
quarter mile. I suppose it could have been worse - a Pileated.
By the way, I think the number of Sapsuckers in the Yale Forest has been
increasing since I started going there. I'm sure they are now the most
numerous woodpecker, with Downy a distant second.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6lepreuid9ksw4u/AACa661s3zzyv29lJ4btnQoOa?dl=0
click x in white box to see pics

Apr 16, 2017 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
39 species

Wood Duck 3 2 m 1 f at pond crossing on Kinney Hollow Rd, Union
Mallard 1
Wild Turkey 1
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Broad-winged Hawk 1 FOY
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 7
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 9
Downy Woodpecker 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 4
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 20
Blue-headed Vireo 8
Blue Jay 16
American Crow 1
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 6
Black-capped Chickadee 25
Tufted Titmouse 12
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 4
Winter Wren 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
American Robin 15
Louisiana Waterthrush 9
Black-and-white Warbler 1 Stopped on my way out to talk to someone
and he sounded off literally right next to us. Been looking for 1 for 2 weeks
now. I don't believe this is rare for the date in this area.
Pine Warbler 25 Pretty much all the birds or at least the males are
back now and pretty much every mature white pine has one singing. This is a
major breeding area for Pine Warbler. 25 is a very, very low estimate
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Chipping Sparrow 7
Dark-eyed Junco 3
Song Sparrow 3