Date: 4/16/17 4:04 pm
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Chinook mine, evening
After enjoying the Ruff in the Wind at Goose Pond in mid-afternoon, I checked Chinook mine as sunset, hearing numerous Woodcocks and my first Henslow's Sparrows of the season. Also, one Whip-poor-will along Cory Staunton Road east of Chinook, in a traditional area.

Chinook Mine Northeast (Clay Co.), Clay, Indiana, US
Apr 15, 2017 8:50 PM - 9:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Comments: Drove 500N from Vigo line to 650W, north one mile to 600N (listening for Woodcock and sparrows), east to 550W, south to 500N, and east to Cory-Staunton Road; from sunset to near darkness. Warm (74 F), with some wind but good hearing conditions. Mainly counting woodcock and Henslow's Sparrows.
4 species

Canada Goose 4
Great Blue Heron 2
American Woodcock 9 peenting calls and display flights, in grassy areas adjacent to woods patches in reclaimed mine landscape; heard along each road segment (of the five mile-long segments) in appropriate habitat, traditional areas
Henslow's Sparrow 4 singing birds in two areas, my first of season here (have been checking)

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S36023528