Date: 4/16/17 11:53 am
From: Ashley Kristen Lohr <ashley.lohr25...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Birdy day at the Bot Gardens (Athens, Clarke County)
Decided to do some last-minute Easter birding today. Around late morning we headed to the UGA State Botanical Garden in Clarke County, where we walked the White Trail from the parking lot, through the power line cut, down to the river, and back up to the Native Flora Gardens. We watched an adult RED-SHOULDERED HAWK grab a meal and carry it off. It started calling and another RSHA joined it (presumably its mate). Saw a RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD and a male COMMON YELLOWTHROAT along the river. Many WHITE-EYED VIREOS were singing, as well as RED-EYED VIREOS and BLUE-GREY GNATCATCHERS. A highlight was a SPOTTED SANDPIPER foraging along the river. My birding partner was also ecstatic to see his lifer BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH in the power line cut. A pair of EASTERN BLUEBIRDS is nesting in the box in the PLC, as well.

We heard a couple warblers singing back and forth in trees near the river, but we never got a visual. They were one of the "pleased, pleased to meet you!" species...I'm thinking AMERICAN REDSTART, but could be HOODED or something else entirely.

Non-avian sightings: lots of dragonflies, a toad in a stump, a green anole, a couple of five-lined skinks, a chipmunk, and squirrels.

Happy birding,

Ashley Lohr

Athens/Putnam County area

Ashley Lohr

Graduate Research Assistant

Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources

University of Georgia

<akl34810...>

Office: 4-227

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>